Wednesday, December 23, 2015

December 2015 - Settling back into the USA.

It is already December 23, 2015 and over four months have gone by since I've returned from Baghdad. Where did the time go?  Who knew that adjusting back state side would take this long. Being away for two years, coming back with a new job and a new home, it sure isn't a piece of cake.

I realized I was spoiled for the year in Baghdad, despite it being a dangerous post.  I didn't have to worry about meals, cooking or grocery shopping, I only needed to worry about taking care of myself and managing my time and I had all kinds of time to do what I wanted to do without the added responsibilities.  Coming back home, there were home renovations that makes settling back a little difficult, my responsibilities as wife and mother and getting back into the disciplinarian game was not easy.  I am glad nevertheless to reunite with my family and to be out of the danger zone.

Some of my friends from before welcomed me back as we continue to spend time together with our children which helped with the adjustment.  Getting back into the greeting card ministry was nice to be able to fellowship and gain back some card making skills.  Also, the dance classes were fun as well even though I lost a bit.  These were the challenges and I guess it goes to show that when you are out of routine, your mind and body takes time to just re-adapt to everything.  Getting older doesn't much help either, I guess :D

Back in 2013 and before, I was super mom, having clothes, meals, children activities and everything planned out to the minimum for the week.  Life seemed perfect but there were things missing.  I depended on myself versus the help of God and my fellow friends.  Now I've done less planning and just went more with the flow.  This helps me focus on the important things which do get gone but I sure don't know how I squeezed so much in back then...Oh yeah, I had no cat, I didn't go to church weekly or spent any time with the bible.  My hubby poor thing took a back seat.

Now that it's the Holidays, I continue to focus on the season of giving. Not necessarily giving physical things, but thinking of donating time and money to organizations.  I don't need to buy 20 toys for my daughter like I used to, in order that all her Christmas wishes come true.  No matter what happened in the end, she would be alright.  I also realize the importance of making your home a home once you've moved.  The more you delay putting picture frames or buying furniture to make your niche, the more you'll feel like you're living out of a box.  I've downsized quite a deal, but adding that touch really makes your home a sanctuary and a place you want to retreat to.

So, for those who move, get those picture frames, decorations and memories out and celebrate them.

Two years have gone by without me and now the next few years, the city will have an additional member for new activities and opportunities to fellowship with.  And speaking of new friends, I'm blessed to have an additional Thai friend(s) both in my job and in my personal life I met through my daughter's gymnastics class.  It truly is a blessing and sometimes I know my mom is watching me making sure I don't lose my identity.  I hope through fellowship with Thai friends, my thai language will strengthen and also the culture.  I also hope to teach Thai to Alyssa at least now I have an excuse!!

Merry Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment